Friday, May 13, 2011

The Unpacking

Note to incoming freshman: don't bring so much stuff! Moving in is great, because all these orientation leaders run around like crazy people up and down the stairs. There are more strong boys than you could ever ask for who are very handy when it comes to carrying things like fridges and chairs. BUT when you move out, you're on your own.

Another note: don't bring stuff up throughout the year without bringing stuff home. Equal exchange is the key. Cars don't grow while you're away at school. There were some seriously close moments when I looked from my pile to my car to my pile and didn't think everything would make it.

Also: vacuum sealable space bags are a godsend.

For any English majors, here's a comical photo.


I've acquired most of these books throughout the year, and my bookshelf at home is already full. The Norton Anthologies were for my Brit Lit I and Brit Lit II Honors classes- they are very expensive but great compilations. Unfortunately, books don't fit in vacuum seal bags. But would I rather have this gigantic pile stored digitally in an electronic reader? No way. Because I know that years from now I'll be able to look back through these books and see the notes I took during my first year of college, and that means so much more than convenience.

I end with a quote from Ray Bradbury:
"I still love books. Nothing a computer can do can compare to a book. You can't really put a book on the Internet. Three companies have offered to put books by me on the Net, and I said, 'If you can make something that has a nice jacket, nice paper with that nice smell, then we'll talk.' All the computer can give you is a manuscript. People don't want to read manuscripts. They want to read books. Books smell good. They look good. You can press it to your bosom. You can carry it in your pocket." 


Maybe not all these books can fit in the pockets of my skinny jeans, but to me this pile represents all the accomplishments of my first year at Saint Michael's. Congratulations, me.

No comments:

Post a Comment